Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Hobo Dinner

As my first post, I thought I'd start with this blog's namesake: the Hobo Dinner.
It's packed with healthy foods like vegetables, but also has some mince and butter so it isn't exactly a diet recipe.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4-6 

Ingredients:
  • 500g ground beef
  • 1 medium potato
  • 2 carrots or any of your favorite vegetables (onions and corn are healthy and work well)
  • Butter
  • Salt and Pepper

Before we start, you'll also need a campfire.  Barrel fires work ok (for hobos) or an oven at 175 Celsius (about 350 Fahrenheit) works too, but campfires are best.  
  1. Tear one sheet of heavy duty foil per person and cover one side with butter.  
  2. Break off pieces of ground beef and lay them in the center of the foil (season with salt and pepper at this point) 
  3. Peel potatoes and other vegetables, and cube them about an inch per edge and place over meat.  
  4. Add a pat of butter and bring over ends of foil to wrap this.  
  5. Wrap once more with foil and place onto hot coals of campfire.  
  6. Cook until you think it's ready, this will vary based on where you put it, temperature of campfire etc but should be around 15-20 minutes.  Turn every 5 minutes so it doesn't burn.  
  7. After you think it's done, open up and enjoy.  OMNOMNOMNOM :D

    Please follow and comment and I'll make sure I do the same.  Also let me know in the comments if you'd like to see more healthy foods or if i should keep posting unhealthy stuff.

    40 comments:

    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Probably gonna try this out next time I'm looking for a campfire meal ^_^

      ReplyDelete
    3. I used to eat this when I went camping.

      ReplyDelete
    4. definitely done this before. easy as hell, and it tastes good too. mix brown sugar and ketchup for a sauce... its actually really good

      ReplyDelete
    5. Nice to know for when I`ll be homeless.

      ReplyDelete
    6. potato, onion, and salt are so cheap!
      those make up 90% of my diet.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Doesn't look that tasty but sure it looks cheap. I will try to eat that everyday I think I can save hundreds.

      ReplyDelete
    8. hobo dinners = epic campout food

      ReplyDelete
    9. You need to make a picture of how it looks once it's finished, looks yummy.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Sounds like a great idea for a camping meal. :P Campfire cooked meals taste soo good.

      ReplyDelete
    11. I'll try this when I'm camping this summer. :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. looks delicious, thanks.
      Now I need to eat some beef :)

      ReplyDelete
    13. a fucking delicious ghetto meatloaf with potatoes
      so hungry

      ReplyDelete
    14. That looks delicious
      look forward to more posts

      ReplyDelete
    15. That looks really good for how cheap it is. Post more cheap delicious foodz.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Would like to see the end result but definitely following to see what else you have to share

      ReplyDelete
    17. Frozen burger patties are cheap and preweighed.

      ReplyDelete
    18. that kind of looks good. personally my fave is chicken broccoli and butter cooked like this.

      ReplyDelete
    19. Haha, I had a cheeseburger steak and fries tonight! Pretty close!

      ReplyDelete
    20. Sounds pretty good gonna have to make it when i get up in the morning

      ReplyDelete
    21. doesnt sound very hobo-like, but probably a decent meal.

      ReplyDelete
    22. not necessarily hobo, just cheap and easy :)

      ReplyDelete
    23. We used to make this for boyscouts all the time. We'd grab leftovers before a camp out and put them in coolers. We'd throw them near the fire for dinner to warm them up :)

      ReplyDelete
    24. That's looks great, I'm going to try that myself one day when I got time.

      ReplyDelete
    25. that looks really good, check out my blog, i wrote something about food yesterday. lemme know what you think

      ReplyDelete
    26. Looks delicious. I will have to make this for my guests one day =)

      ReplyDelete
    27. this actually looks pretty delicious

      ReplyDelete